With over 45 million tourists a year visiting the city of Paris, it is understandable that the city has a large variety of tourist attractions that cater to even the most exacting of visitors. However, on account of the sheer number of options available, it can be difficult for visitors on a short stay to decide which attraction to visit. Here is a list of the top five tourist attractions in Paris, to make this decision easier for you.
1. Eiffel Tower – This iconic structure has perfectly captured the contemporary elegance of the city of Paris more than any other monument ever could. Built in 1889 as for the World Exposition, the Eiffel Tower was first scoffed at by the Parisians, and there were even threats to tear it down. Despite all this, it has survived, and today it is impossible to imagine Paris without it
2. Arc de Triomphe – Built by Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte to commemorate his victories and military power, the Arc de Triomphe stands at the end of the Champs-Elysées. Visitors to this area can admire the beautiful reliefs and sculptures that have been a part of Paris through the centuries.
3. The Louvre – This world-famous museum houses a collection of pre-20th century paintings, sculptures and decorative objects. The collection at the Louvre is the largest and most diverse of its kind, making the museum one of the best attractions in the city.
4. Notre Dame Cathedral – This magnificent structure is one of the best examples of gothic architecture in the world and is one of the most unique cathedrals in the world.
5. Musée d’Orsay – Located across the river from the Louvre, the Musée d’Orsay is home to one of the largest collections of post-impressionist and impressionist paintings, which is a complete contrast to the collection at the Louvre.
6. The River Seine – is one location you will want to visit whilst in Paris and alongside which you will see a lot of the cities most famous attractions.